Pathways of transformation
Standing in 2015 and looking towards 2030, we face a very complex and fast-changing world. Our ability to achieve a sustainable and inclusive global economy depends on how we understand trends and critical risks. Most importantly, it depends on our ability to take concerted actions to change course. For those able to navigate the map of the new Millennium, the path to a sustainable and inclusive economy is paved with opportunity.
In this section, we present three broad pathways of transformation which we believe are crucial to accelerating progress towards sustainability. The pathways should not be seen as separate, but as interconnected aspects of what it will take to secure the future we want. We begin each pathway by describing where we need to be and then outline the essential building blocks – the enablers – that help us reach our destination. In conclusion, we offer some concrete recommendations for change to be realised.
The recommendations for the Global Compact builds on the assessment of impacts and strengths previously described in this report, to encourage mobilisation of resources and efforts where the initiative seems to have the greatest leverage. Our strong recommendation is that most activities should be conducted jointly with relevant partners from the UN, other voluntary initiatives, and relevant civil society and academic institutions, as well as business.
PATHWAY 1: SUSTAINABILITY IS THE ‘BUSINESS OF BUSINESS’
- Mobilising the majority: Getting all companies on board
- A new motive: Adapting corporate visions and objectives
- Reboot corporate sustainability: Making sustainability a part of daily business
- Better governance : Aligning regulation with sustainability priorities
- Add value to society: Mobilising capital to enable the transition
- Transformative collaboration: Scaling up new practices to achieve impact
- Awaken the consumer: Catalysing consumer action in partnership with business
PATHWAY 3: NEW THINKING FOR A NEW REALITY
- A compelling story: Creating a new narrative of opportunity
- Redefining value: A new perspective of worth and prosperity
- Visionary leaders: Redefining the notion of leadership
- Spreading the messages: Getting the word out